At the invitation of H. E. Mr. Elmar Mammadyarov, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan, and with the participation of H. E. Mr. Ali Akbar Salehi, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran and H. E. Mr. Ahmet Davutoğlu, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey (hereinafter referred as to the “Parties”), the Second Session of Trilateral Meeting of Ministers of Foreign Affairs was held on Wednesday, March 7, 2012 in Nakhchivan.
Convinced that friendship and closer neighbourly relations, based on the common cultural heritage, historical roots and religious values are in the main interest of the peoples of the three countries, and joint efforts are important in realisation of common goals and overcoming of modern threats and challenges;
Expressing their satisfaction over the progress made both in bilateral and multilateral relations among the three countries, underlining their firm determination of exploring of possibilities to further expand cooperation in the political, economic, trade, cultural, humanitarian, tourism and sport fields;
Declaring their commitment to the Charter of the United Nations and generally recognized principles and norms of international law, and emphasizing the respect for the legitimate rights of all countries to achieve sustainable development, and have free and equal access to knowledge and technology;
Underlining the contribution of the cooperation among the three countries to the regional and international peace and stability, security and development;
Emphasizing the importance of Urumieh Statement adopted in the First Session of Trilateral Meeting of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs on 16 April 2011 in Urumieh, Islamic Republic of Iran;
Confirming the recommendations of the first meeting of Trilateral Economic Committee, which was held in the city of Tehran, the Islamic Republic of Iran, on November 29, 2011;
Have agreed as follows:
1. The Parties shall continue their consultations on the important regional and global issues of mutual interests at the level of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and within the framework of international and regional organisations such as United Nations, Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia, and Economic Cooperation Organisation.
2. The Parties believe that the election of the Republic of Azerbaijan as a Non-permanent Member of the UN Security Council will contribute to the common interests of the region.
3. The Parties note the importance of the earliest resolution of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict on the basis of respect for the sovereignty, territorial integrity and internationally recognised borders of states and emphasize that strengthening the maintenance of peace and stability in the region through the promotion of regional cooperation will have a positive effect in the peaceful resolution of regional conflicts and will serve to their common interests.
4. The Parties express their determination not to allow their territories to be used, under any circumstances, for any threat and activity against each other which may lead to hostilites.
5. The Parties will strengthen their cooperation in the fight against terrorism and extremism in all their forms and manifestations, transnational organized crime and, narcotic drugs and arms trafficking as well as trafficking in persons and migrant smuggling.
6. The Parties will promote to further develop relations in the fields of economy, energy, trade, industry, transport, telecommunication, communication, press, culture, tourism, sport and environmental protection by means of joint project and cooperation plans for the improvement of well-being of nations of the three countries, economic growth and strengthening of development.
7. The Parties shall continue to work together in order to further strengthen economic and commercial ties as well as to promote the level of welfare and prosperity in their respective countries, taking into consideration the recommendations made by the Trilateral Economic Committee.
8. The sub-committees which are established by the Trilateral Economic Committee shall convene in accordance with the attached timetable before the next meeting of the Committee to be held in November 2012 in Azerbaijan.
9. The Parties will continue cooperation in the field of preservation of historical and cultural heritage.
10. The Parties will consider visa-free travel of their nationals among the three countries through adoption of incremental measures.
11. The Parties support the right to develop peaceful nuclear energy within the Treaty on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) framework without any discrimination and inequality, taking in to consideration that IAEA is the the sole verifying body regarding the implementation of safeguards.
12. The Parties support the final document of the 2010 NPT Review Conference, which adopted a plan of action for the implementation of 1995 Middle East Resolution on the establishment of a zone free of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East.
13. The Parties will explore the possibilities of improving of border-crossing points’ infrastructure and exchanging of experience in the field of border and customs matters.
14. The Parties will explore the possibility of connecting the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway with the existing Nakhchivan-Julfa-Tabriz railway.
15. The next meeting will be held in September 2012, in the city of Van in Turkey.