The Republic of Azerbaijan applied for a membershipof the ECOSOC for the period of 2017-2019 in 2011. ECOSOC is one of the principal organs of the UN to coordinate economic, social and related work of the 14 UN specialized agencies, functional commissions and five regional commissions.
The increased importance of development issues in the activities of the UN, including Sustainable Development Goals adopted in 2015 further raised the role and reputation of the ECOSOC in the UN system and international relations.
The elections for the ECOSOC membership is considered as the most competitive elections after the UN Security Council. The Republic of Azerbaijan has already been a member of the ECOSOC only once during the term of 2003-2005.
The ECOSOC has 54 member states which are elected by a secret ballot at the UN General Assembly for three-year terms based on geographical representation. 18 seats are newly elected each year. Election requires a two-thirds majority or 129 member state votes.
Since 2011, the active diplomatic work has been carried out to support the candidacy of our country to the Council.
Azerbaijan was elected a member of the ECOSOC as a result of elections held at the UN General Assembly on June 14, 2016 by getting votes of 176 out of 184 member states. Azerbaijan will be a member of the ECOSOC from January 1, 2017 until December 31, 2019.
Azerbaijan’s membership to the UN Economic and Social Council with majority votes indicates the international reputation of our country and appreciation of international community for the achievements of Azerbaijan in social-economic sphere especially in last decade.
The Republic of Azerbaijan will contribute to international peace and development in accordance with the goals and principles of the UN Charter during its membership to the Council.
- Diplomatic service
- Structure of the Ministry
- Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Deputy Ministers
- Diplomatic Missions of the Republic of Azerbaijan abroad
- Department of Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Nakhchivan
- ADA University
- Board of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of AR
- Ministers of Foreign Affairs of AR
- Diplomat’s Day
- Working hours of the Ministry
- Foreign policy
- Consular service and visa
- Press service
- Address of Ministry
- Reception for the citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan by the Officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Reception of appeals and documents
- Contacts of the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Contacts of the Council of Appeal of Ministry of Foreign Affairs