Rules of Obtaining Diplomatic Permission for aircraft over-flight and/or landing in the territory of the Republic of Azerbaijan
a. Verbal notes for obtaining single-entry diplomatic permission for the civil and military aircraft that belong to other states for the over-flight through the air space and landing at the airports of the Republic of Azerbaijan, should be sent to the State Protocol Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and official holidays of the Republic of Azerbaijan as specified below:
- for the VVIP and VIP flights - 5 working days in advance
- for the over-flight by military and civil aircraft carrying dangerous cargo and equipped with weapons - 14 working days in advance
- for the over-flight and landing of military and civil aircraft with military and dangerous cargo on board as well as those equipped with combat, radar and air photo equipment - 14 working days in advance
Type of aircraft, purpose and date of flight should be specified in the verbal note and a copy of the properly filled-in application form necessary for the flight should be annexed to the verbal note. The list of the most important persons aboard, cargo specifications and the flight plan should be included into the mentioned application form.
Diplomatic permissions are valid for 72 hours.
b. In order to obtain annual diplomatic permission for usage of air space of the Republic of Azerbaijan a verbal note should be sent to the State Protocol Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Types of aircraft, their registration numbers, call signals, points of entry into and exit from the air space of the Republic of Azerbaijan, purpose of flight and the information on the cargo should be given in the verbal note.
Along with that, after issuance of the annual permission, information on the flight plan, cargo specifications and parameters should be provided with regard to every flight.
Annual diplomatic permissions are not applicable for the aircrafts landing to the airports of the Republic of Azerbaijan and at the same time for the below-mentioned overflights:
- VVIP and VIP aircraft
- Aircraft equipped with combat, weaponry, radar and air photo equipment
- Aircraft flying to and from the Republic of Armenia
Single-entry permissions should be obtained for these flights according to the rules and terms noted in item “a”.
c. After having received properly filled in requests for usage of the air space and airports of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Azerbaijani side may request to submit additional information or documentation.