In health sphere the
WHO was established on April 7, 1948. This organization has 192 members. The main bodies of the organization are the Word Health Assembly, Executive Board and Secretariat. Secretariat is headed by Secretary General. At present the Secretary General of WHO is Margaret Chan (was elected in 2006). The Secretariat of WHO is located in
WHO cooperates with member-states through its regional offices. Organization has 6 offices:
1. Regional office on Africa - headquarter is in
2. Regional office on Europe - headquarter is in
3. Regional office on South-Eastern Asia - headquarter is in Deli (
4. Regional office on
5. Regional office on Eastern Mediterranean Sea basis - headquarter is in
6. Regional office on Western Pacific Ocean - headquarter is in
During 58th meeting of the World Health Assembly (WHA) held on May 16-25, 2005 in
On April 25-26, 2006 former Director General of WHO Dr. Lee Jong-wook visited
Azerbaijani delegation headed by the Minister of Health O.Shiraliyev participated at WHO Executive Board’s 119th session on November 6-8 and the first WHA emergency (special) meeting on November 9, 2006. As a result of the meetings Dr. Margaret Chan was elected as a Director General of WHO, after Dr. Lee’s unexpected death. Dr. Margaret Chan visited
During 62th meeting of the WHA held in Geneva on May 18-22, 2009 Memorandum of Understanding was signed between Azerbaijan and Regional Office for Europe for 2 years.
During 59th session of the WHO’s Regional Office for Europe held in
Azerbaijani delegation headed by the Minister of Health O.Shiraliyev participated at 63th meeting of the WHA held in
The 17th session of UN’s European Economic Commission’s Committee on Environment Policy was held in
61 th session of the WHO’s Regional Office for Europe was held in
The third meeting of the European Ministerial Council on Environment and Health was organized in
Azerbaijani delegation headed by the Minister of Health O.Shiraliyev participated at 132nd meeting of the WHO’s Executive Board held in
WHO has been implemented series of projects in
1. DOTs (Directly Observed Treatment-short course) project – The project provides implementation of short-term medical courses of tuberculosis under the direct doctor control. In the framework of this project, T.B. prophylactic centers in Baki, Naxchivan, Lenkaran, Xachmaz, Gandja, Sumqait, Sabirabad, Sheki and Mingechevir receive humanitarian assistance as medicaments against tuberculosis, roentgen apparatuses, microscopes and other equipment. Series of NGOs also joined this project.
2. MECACAR – the program on elimination of poliomyelitis. This wide-ranging program has been implementing in
3. CARAK – the program on women and children protection.
4. The program on diphtheria observation – in the framework of this program, it is caring out training courses for medical staff of different districts of
5. The program on family planning – Gandja and Sumqait were chosen for implementing of this program.
6. The program on mental disease - in the framework of this program, different kinds of psychotropic are brought as humanitarian assistance in our country. The Ministry of Health sends this relief to Guba and other districts which were chosen as pilot districts.
7. South Caucuses Health Information Project - the project aims to help the Ministry of Health of the
UN’s special reporter on the right of everyone to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health visited
During the 10th
The 3rd meeting of the Heads of Blood Transfusion Organizations/Authorities of ECO member states was held in
Within the project entitled “Development of the activities related to donation and transplantation: Cooperation between countries of the Black Sea Area (BSA project)”of the European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and Healthcare expert group visited
Grant Treaty was signed with the Global Fund on struggle against AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis for funding of the first 2 years of 5 year program entitled “Strengthening the struggle against AIDS/IIV in
After the avian influenza was founded in Azerbaijan the Ministry of Foreign Affairs actively cooperated with different international organizations, such as EU, WHO, UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization, as well as with several countries on bilateral basis in struggle with that disease.